BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, May 10, 2010

There's a fine line between being honest with your kids and wondering if you told them too much...

A quick run down- My friend and I decided to rent a spot at the Flea Market to sell cupcakes and other baked goods. Then I got an idea to donate some of the proceeds to a local boy that needs a heart transplant. (He's 5 yrs old.) His website is here: www.saveabrokenheart.com

SO. Alexis has been curious what all the fuss is about at home while we're getting ready for the bake sale. On the way to the Dixon May Fair yesterday we stopped and got bracelets that say Aaron has captured our <3's and we decided to carefully fill her in. We explained that there's a little boy that's heart doesn't work like it should and that if someone dies accidentally, like in a car crash, that they can take that persons heart and give it to someone living that needs a new one.
Sounds a little deep for a 6 year old conversation, but you have to know Alexis to know that she got it. She asked a couple questions about the little boy but then seemed OK.
So, today when I'm drawing up signs for the sale she asks if she can watch. She sits quietly and then says.. "Mom... I don't want to donate my heart." I -of course- gasp and tell her that SHE doesn't have to. She says,"No... I mean when I die..." So I told her, "Well... that's your decision.. When you die your body is just a shell and your soul leaves it and you don't need your organs anymore..." *This is the exact spot in the conversation that I knew I was in over my head. She says, "So, my Grandma that just died.. doesn't have her heart anymore??" Me- "Umm... well... uhh... Oy." I think I overstepped the whole "being honest with your kids" thing. :(

2 comments:

Jaye said...

Gram J gave all of us a piece of her heart :)

malibustacy said...

<3